Monday, April 1, 2013

Adventure Time



For those of you who have been hiding under a rock: Adventure Time follows Finn the Human and Jake the Dog on their adventures in the post-apocalyptic Land of Ooo. The painting my take on their robot game system, called BMO or Beemo.

5/5 Stars
Read the review after the Jump.




I’m going to enjoy myself a hipster moment. I can honestly say that I was a fan of Adventure Time before it was the wildly popular beast it is today. I discovered Adventure Time on the internet when it was just a short Pen Ward had created and instantly knew I’d found something special. My friends and I quoted it to death, watched it over and over again, and showed it to everyone we knew. Then.. A few years later, Cartoon Network picked it up. Shock, excitement, and "I TOLD YOU SO" were my simultaneous reactions when I heard the news. Not sure who I was telling so.. But anyways.

With college and life I got distracted, and wasn't really paying attention to Adventure Time, it was out in the world and it found its audience, it wouldn't miss me. So, I wasn't really aware of all the little back story bits that had developed throughout the series. A friend of mine brought up how we had discovered the original short together and I admitted I hadn't been keeping up. He then asked, "So you don't even know who the Ice King, really is?" I said I didn't, but I promised to watch more. Later that week I needed something to watch and I started browsing my on demand menu. I located 4 recent Adventure Time episodes and noticed that one mentioned something about the Ice king's past, realizing that this was what my friend was talking about I put it on. After I watched it, I immediately found all 4 seasons and binged. That episode was “I Remember You”.

Now, I actively keep up with Adventure Time and watch new episodes as they come out on Cartoon Network. The art style, stories, and jokes are unique and quirky. The characters develop, have histories, and secrets, story elements that are unfortunately rare in most cartoon shows. Another little thing I love about Adventure Time is all of the random voice acting cameos, I love hearing a voice and trying to place it, or immediately recognizing whoever it is. For example, Marc Maron as a squirrel? Pretty great.

Overall, Adventure Time is a really magical experience even if you’re an adult, and if you’re some kind of hermit cave dweller who’s like 50 patoots, and you've somehow managed to overlook it so far, go out and the series. Now.




It was also recently put on Netflix if you have access to that.

Also, if you're into Adventure Time you'll probably be into Bravest Warriors, another series by Pen Ward that's part of Cartoon Hangover on YouTube. Check it here:
Bravest Warriors

No comments:

Post a Comment